THE APPLICATION PERIOD FOR THE SUMMER 2019 YOUTH MEDIA PROGRAM IS NOW OPEN
June - July, 2019
Tuesdays, 7 - 9 p.m.
Open to all Lehigh Valley high school students, age 14 - 18
Participation is free but space is limited
- Gain audio & radio production skills from experienced professionals
- Build up your resume and college portfolio
- Produce promotional pieces for a major Lehigh Valley arts festival
- Have your work broadcasted to tens of thousands of listeners on Lehigh Valley's NPR station
- Hone your interviewing skills
- Learn the history of TV and radio from longtime industry professionals
Students who would like to be considered for WDIY's Youth Media program, please complete and send the following documents no later than May 24, 2019:
- A completed application form.
- A writing sample (This may be any piece of your writing including assignments turned in for class, articles in the school paper, etc.)
Please email application materials to firstname.lastname@example.org or mail paper copies to:
WDIY 88.1 FM
Attn: Youth Media Program
Bethlehem, PA 18015
If you have any questions or concerns, contact WDIY Development Director, Shamus McGroggan, at 610-694-8100 x7 or email@example.com.
In the Youth Media Program program, students gain first-hand experience in radio production under the guidance of experienced professionals. Over the course of weekly Tuesday evening meetings from 6 to 8 pm throughout June and July, students will write, record, and produce their own original multimedia projects. The Youth Media Program will mentor the students with the goal of creating professional broadcast quality content that can be aired on WDIY alongside our NPR news, public affairs, and music programs!
The Youth Media Program is recommended for students looking to gain skills or experience for career fields such as:
- Broadcast media
No previous experience in radio or journalism is necessary, as the Youth Media Program will guide students through a curriculum including:
- Writing and voicing for radio
- Interview techniques
- Use of recording and production equipment
- Editing recordings for broadcast